Friday, October 12, 2012

Better Angels of Political Framing?


I'm attending a political fundraiser tonight.  It's not a pie supper like I used to go to when my dad was campaigning, dang it!  I loved those.  Best pies ever.  I've been to many political events, but this one is different.  This event is for a man whose party affiliation is different from mine.  Not just his party affiliation is different, but his stance on certain issues which are near and dear to me is 180 degrees different.  I must say I never thought I, of all people, would ever agree to attend such an event.  Offhand, it seems out of character for me, but at second glance maybe not so much.  I'm looking at this a bit as if I have been asked to frame the ugliest thing I have ever seen.  Would I frame it even though I don't like it?  You bet I would.  For starters, I'm in the business of framing! 

It makes sense I really like to frame things I personally find appealing and that match my own aesthetic.  Framing something I don't particularly like? Well, that can present a challenge. It is with these projects that I have to "cross the aisle", so to say.   As a framer my role is to use my sense of proportion, scale and color theory to create something the customer finds to be lovely, something that works for her, that makes her smile inside and out.

Personally, in order for me to be effective in almost anything I do, I need information.   I need details, and I need to see the big picture.  Creating a connection between BriGuy and fill-in-the-blank, is necessary for me to be effective.  I've never accepted "just because" as a reason or an explanation.  I need a broader view in order for me to comprehend a more focused view.  In framing the first step is to have a conversation about the "thing".   "Do you have any ideas about what you want it to look like?"  "Who made it?" "Where did it come from?" Why is it important to you?" "Where is it going to hang?"   Catch my drift?  Information helps me apply my skills more deftly. I am committed to providing quality products of which I am proud, and I am committed to having happy customers.  To do that, sometimes I have to set aside for a bit my own viewpoint/opinion in order to gain a clearer perspective.

So back to tonight's event...why am I going to attend?  Good question.  I've been asking myself the same thing.  I guess it comes down to this:  if I really believe what I say, which is we all benefit from collaboration & conversation versus polarization & exclusion, then I should go.  "All politics are local."  That's what they say.  If that's true, then I have even more of a reason to attend.  To be honest, I don't know many people across the aisle from me, not really.  I may know who some are, but we don't talk.  We don't have conversations. I have preconceived notions about what kind of people "they" are.  Seems to me that kind of living and thinking isn't working too well for us. 

People like to be in a herd.  I get it.  I like to be surrounded by people who are like-minded, who agree with my positions.  Who doesn't?  BUT, and that's a big but, how can any of us expect our representatives to be civil, engaged with each other and much less effective, if we ourselves cannot do the same within our own communities?

I know this post might be kinda preachy which isn't the aim, but this is my blog after all.  I went back-and-forth on whether to share it or not.  And I know my thoughts may seem rather Pollyanna-ish and a little pie-in-the-sky.  I guess I am an idealist.  But so what?  Ideals are what drive people.  Who does it hurt to think about the possibility of people with disparate beliefs interacting, conversing and believing that by doing so we might actually forge benefits for us all?

Bottom line:  if we can't/don't talk to folks in our own communities who have differing beliefs and opinions, how would or why should we expect our elected officials to act any differently?  Change happens from the inside out.  If we stay away from each other, become enemies, what good can that possibly bring?


No comments:

Post a Comment